Thursday, June 21, 2007

You'd think I had learned my lesson by now...

So yesterday was e-baby's 9-mo appointment, and we found out that she's long and lean. And she has a big melon. She's also way ahead of the averages for social, communication, gross and fine motor and problem-solving skills. But then we knew she was brilliant.

She's in the 80th percentile for head circumfrence (no surprise-- SNG and his dad have big heads), she's 27" long, and 16lb8oz. That's a bit taller than average and a bit lighter than average. Of course, I immediately worried that she isn't eating enough, and that I need to start sending her to school with weight-gain protein shakes, but the doc said it was nothing to worry about, and that when babies start crawling they tend to lose weight.

And really, if you look at this child, she has rolls on her arms and legs, she has big pudgy cheeks, she has a baby belly. Hardly wasting away.

Still, I got all worried. So last night I put some silken tofu and babyfood apples/plums in the blender and made tofu smoothies for her. She had not had tofu before. She had also not had plums before. One of those things had a Drano effect.

Big time. Mosh pit at lollaPOOlooza

I've made this mistake before, where I give her 2 new foods at once, mixed up, and she had a reaction and I couldn't tell which food was the problem. So, no more tofu or plums for a couple of weeks, and I'll try them one at a time. In the meantime, Bananas, Rice, Apple, Toast (BRAT). And zucchini. Because really, who can live without zucchini?

6 comments:

PartnerInCrime said...

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that your 9 month-old weighs less than my almost 5 month-old.
You know that prunes are made from plums, right? And the general effect that prunes would have on the system would be...? Yeah. My guess is that the tofu wasn't the problem. Poor little e-baby.

cat said...

Tony and I suspect that she has his lightweight bone structure. And yeah, poor ebaby. She weighs less today than yesterday!

PartnerInCrime said...

If she did get his lightweight bone structure, she's one lucky girl. My current nickname for c-baby is "my chunka-chunka burnin' love" - no light bones for this little one.

LizardBreath said...

It sounds like we're raising a colony of super babies! Poor little one probably didn'y know what hit her! Hopefully this earns her some ice cream!

TexasRecyclingQueen said...

Ah, but all done with the best of intentions, so the mama/chief/dietitian is to be forgiven. I vote on the plums being the culprit food as well! l-)
Love,

Cat said...

Y'all are probably right. Next weekend we'll try tofu with something familiar, like peas or green beans. Or maybe banana, since it is a treatment for, um, the poops.