Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Let the Lunch Begin!

I took Jambuca to lunch with me at work today for the first time. I've been waiting for this forever.

We talked about it this morning, before school.
"Sweetheart, I'm going to take you to school, and then at lunchtime, I'll come get you and take you to the cafe for lunch. Is that OK?"
"YEAH!"
"After that, I'll take you back to school for nap. OK?"
(silence)
"Say, OK, mommy"
"OK mommy"

His teachers also talked to him about the plan, that mommy would be bringing him back for nap.

When I arrived to pick him up, he started to cry that panicked cry that unmistakeably means "You'd better be here to take me with you because if I see you and you leave again I just won't be able to liiiiiiiiiive!" I told him that he needed to calm down before we could go to lunch, and so, he did. Poof. Back to happy.

We walked to the cafe, and he loved the piano player. The pianist played him a round of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and for the rest of lunch, Jambuca would occasionally point to the piano and sing the song, as if to remind me how cool that was.  He had a chicken finger, steamed carrots (and discovered the salt shaker, yum), and some pineapples and strawberres. He had perfect manners, and afterwards, we walked back having a great time. When we passed the preschool, he said "There goes Lelly! Bye-bye Lelly!"

He was perfect, until we walked into the daycare building. He cried. I felt bad.

As I walked into my office 3 minutes later, the phoe was ringing. Jambuca's teacher, calling to tell me that he was perfectly happy once again, playing out in the playground.

Well be doing that again! Lunch with your kids at the cafeteria at work is possibly the best, and least-publicized, benefit of my job.

3 comments:

LizardBreath said...

Sounds like a lot of big kid fun! Can't wait to see y'all again!

Granny said...

Somebody ought to tell FORTUNE about this!

PartnerInCrime said...

That's definitely a cool perk. Having lunch with C-girl would involve a 12-mile drive down NC-55 in the middle of the day, so it just doesn't happen.

It's also really sweet that his teachers call you later to let you know that he's ok. Very cool.