Tuesday, May 3, 2005

Let's play "Where's Cat?"
First of all, thanks for the much-needed sympathy. I'm still sickly, but I've got part of my voice back (as in, I am a talking frog) and I'm coughing a lot, which means this thing is on its way out. Yesterday I took at 4 1/2 mile run... well, run is maybe not the right word... more like, run awhile, stop, catch breath, cough, spit, walk a little, run again. But it was the first strenuous thing I've done since last Wednesday, and I needed to blow out some carbon because Sunday is The Triathlon. Yikes.

So this week I'm in town and trying to get in some last-minute training and sleep lots and eat right and all that stuff. Oh, and work. This week is one of the only times I've got this month to work on a course that I've been promising I'd write for over a year. But it's coming along OK. Since I'm sick, there's significantly less pedestrian-traffic at my office door which makes it easier to get some work done. Or to update my blog. :-D

Saturday afternoon we will head out to White Lake (near Clinton, NC) to check in for the race which is Sunday, 8am. But as a Novice Female, with staggered starts, I am part of the 2nd-to-last group to start (only the Senior Novice Females go after us!). This is a good thing because I'll be able to wake up fully, get properly warmed up, and most importantly, swim without the people from the next group swimming right over the top of me. Although you never know- I am pretty slow and some those old ladies might have a competitive streak. Besides, if I still have this hack/congestion going, I might spend the whole swim hanging onto the back of a referee kayak. think FAST! FAST! VROOOOM!

Then, first thing next week, I'll be on a plane to San Francisco to teach a class that I'm just learning, so wish me Big Brains. I'm a little nervous about it because it's a really tough topic and I'll be team-teaching with someone who is a teaching hero of mine. He is, I'm pretty sure, the best teacher ever to grace the classroom. I'm going to look like an incompetent TA in comparison.

But as soon as class is over, I'm jetting up to meet SNG in Seattle for a 3-day weekend for my cousin PartnerInCrime's wedding. I'm really looking forward to that. SNG is getting there a day before me so he'll be able to do a little sightseeing. Can't wait! Can't wait!

And THEN, no sooner does our plane touch down in Raleigh than I will be packing for another trip- to Boston. I like Boston, and this time, all the usual hotels were booked, so they're putting me at this outrageously expensive place that's a few blocks further from the training center. I'll find out what you get for that extra few hundred dollars a night over a normal Hilton. Better be some massage action, or free bottled water or something.

5 comments:

PartnerInCrime said...

What day are you getting to Seattle? Friday? If y'all want to meet up for dinner or something that night, call me. I think there'll be at least a couple of other folks in town by then.
Can't wait to see you!

sng said...

For what they're paying extra for your Boston hotel, they could fly me there, put us up in the Days Inn, and rent a car for me to shuttle you to the training center.
Wait. No, I don't want to drive in Boston.

Cat said...

I get in Friday night at about 8pm, so by the time I get luggage and drive out there, it might be a bit late for dinner. But if anyone wants to "sit around the fireplace" after dinner, I'd love it!! Let me know if there are any get-together plans for Friday late evening.

PartnerInCrime said...

Are you guys staying at the hotel in Bellevue where everyone else is staying? I believe my folks, as well as Cosmo + her boyfriend are all getting in around 8-9 p.m. on Friday, so that's no problem.
And actually, I'll be staying at the hotel in Bellevue on Friday and Saturday nights myself (long story). So we can try to work out some kind of way to meet up then, I think that'd be fun.

Cat said...

We're staying at the place in Bellevue too. I bet we'll all get there at about the same time! Cool. That'll make it easy to get together Friday evening.