Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Riverwalk

The day I met SNG, he was in a tattered pair of jeans and a ballcap. I was in flowered shorts and a white buttondown shirt that tied in the front.

I had just arrived at Dianaverse's apartment because her little brother, who had his first job and a new car, was visiting from Dallas where he had moved after graduation, and we were going to take him to San Antonio in his new car and let him drive it (from the description, I though graduation "from High School." Turns out it was graduation from college). It was Mardi Gras weekend in 1993. I was supposed to go to New Orleans that year and didn't end up going, and I was urgently trying to get out of a really ugly relationship with a guy who wanted more than anything in the world to be a cop. You know the type.

There in Dianaverse's doorway stood my rebound guy.

Fifteen years later, I'm still goofy for him, and this evening, when he arrives here in San Antonio, we'll get ice cream at the walk-up place that first mistook us for a couple, causing our friend PM to joke with Dianaverse, "Alphagal's going to be your sister-in-law someday." I couldn't have picked a better sister-in-law, but it's her little brother that I can't resist.

I love you, SNG! Happy Anniversary!

No comments: