Saturday, September 16, 2006

Here are two people who look a lot more relaxed and patient than they really feel:


We took a walk down to Reedy Creek Lake today (in the state park by our house) which was a little longer than most of my walks have been lately. My bladder generally can't go more than 2 1/2 - 3 mi at a time, and so 4 1/2 miles this morning was pretty good. It's a far cry from the 8-10 miles a day I was doing before pregnancy (jogging), but my 2 walks a day are still adding up to at least 3-6 miles overall. They say that walking in the last week before the due date can induce labor. So far, no dice.

But it was a terrific walk. The mushrooms this year are more varied and interesting than I've noticed in the past:


We also have a lot more green tree frogs than usual, including this guy who has decided to take up residence in our car-washing bucket:

Actually, I found him in the laundry room, collecting lint off the floor. He was so covered in lint that it was tying up his legs so I caught him and put him in the water to rinse it off. When I tried to set him free in the backyard, he returned to the bucket. I guess it's a pretty nice oasis for a frog. Most of our green frogs live on the front and back porch glass doors, where they can catch bugs by porchlight at night. Some are as big as kumquats, and others are as small as raisins.

It was 64 degrees when we woke up, and by noon it had soared to 71. I love fall in North Carolina.

4 comments:

PartnerInCrime said...

That picture of you and SNG is so cute. You do indeed both look very chilled out and happy.
Have you tried doing squats? (With your back leaning against a wall for support, of course.) I hear that helps. I mean, if you're exercising anyway, why not?
Of course, I imagine you've probably heard about a thousand different recommendations for how to induce labor. I love how they always start with, "Well, they say..." It makes me wonder, who exactly are "they"?

Katrin said...

I'm secretly very scared of the really big spiders at our house. I'd much prefer cute green frogs like the one in the red bucket....

Alphagal said...

I'm with you on the giant creepy spiders. We have this humongous garden spider living in a juniper bush near the gate, and SNG thinks it's so pretty. I think it's enourmous and nasty. He's Hagrid and I'm Ron where spiders are concerned.

Dad said...

Now that your Mom is up there, I hope you two are having a great time. But remember, she is ON LOAN. No matter how cute she is, you have to give her back to me.
Spiders and frogs don't bother her, and she was even cool about the 10- foot reticulated python she found in the front yard one night a month or so ago (probably got away from someone's herpetarium). But cockroaches? Wow!
Love, DOD