Monday, February 23, 2009

The Health Report

edited to add: Oh, well, I spoke too soon-- I got the stomach bug, too. More fun to go around! My house might be quarantined until the end of my maternity leave.

Well, all of the positive healthy thoughts must have helped because so far, Jambuca is in good health, and e-baby is completely recovered. I can't really say the same for everyone in our household, though. My mom caught e-baby's intestinal flu and I caught her cold. SNG hasn't caught anything yet, but I probably just jinxed him by saying so.

In other news, yesterday was Jambuca's due date, so he is now gestationally 1 day old! Woo! So here's an update.

He can roll onto one side on his own. He started doing this when he was only a few days old. Yes, he is a strong little guy, but more than that I think it shows just how badly he wants to be sleeping on his side.

He tracks people's voices in coversations with his head, and seems very intent on listening to everything. Which is really cute, because it look like he's paying all this attention to what everyone is saying. You half expect him to jump into the conversation.

His binocular vision is developing well-- he rarely goes cross-eyed anymore. Too bad, because the cross eyed thing is great entertainment.

He still sleeps almost all of the time, and he is still a very noisy sleeper. He squeaks, hums, and grunts almost constantly. When he is awake, he is quiet and observant.

He is a very different temperament than e-baby, in a lot of ways that make him a crazy-easy baby to care for. He is just more laid back overall. I could tell this difference when he was in my belly, too-- she was a kung-fu fighter, and he practiced t'ai chi. It's the same moves, but different speed and intensity. It will be in his best interest to keep that temperament for the long-term, if he wants a peaceful relationship with his big sister.

E-baby is, by the way, doing very well. She is still completely crazy about baby brother, and seems to have mostly forgiven us for being so lame about making her wash her hands all the time and hug him gently and so on. In fact, looking back, I think all her rage and pestilence was more the result of rocking a cold and a stomach flu simultaneously than the result of our new household member. Having experienced at least her cold first-hand, she felt pretty crappy before we even saw any symptoms. And that was peanuts compared to the stomach bug, a few days later.

But five days of having both kids at home with e-baby sick as a dog reminded me (once again) that I am not cut out to be a stay-at-home mom. Matrix algebra is a whole lot easier than parenthood.

4 comments:

Lizard Breath said...

You crack me up. Tell Tuti I am sorry to hear that she took the stomach bug for e-baby. It does sound like she was trying to get something across though, in hindsight.
Glad to hear that e-baby is feeling well and jambuca is such a mellow little one. Can't wait to see them in person, one day perhaps? MYLY!

PartnerInCrime said...

Glad e-baby is better & that Jambuca stayed healthy - stinks for you & your mom, though. We're *all* sick over at our house. LeBon caught it last week, then me, and now c-baby. No stomach bug (thankfully!), just a really awful cold. Good times, let me tell you.
I hope we can come visit at some point when we're all healthy & germ-free. Let's hope that's sooner than later. :)

diana said...

Sorry!

Maria said...

34857837587385738573
Hi Friends,
I Find Absolutely FREE PlayBoy & Penthous
http://www.girlsupdates.com
If I find something else I'll inform you.
Best Regards,
Maria