Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oh, the Big Decisions of Life

Hooray! With our official downgrade to Moderate Drought this month, North Carolinians are allowed to use words such as "fire", "party" and "backyard" in the same sentence without neighbors turning us in to the police. Of course, none of this really stopped people burning stuff in their backyards in my neighborhood. Most of my neighbors live as though we are in the wild west, where the landowner is The Law. Frankly, my distaste for Ayn Rand aside, I'll take rugged individualism over covenant restrictions any day. One more reason I love living in the woods.

"You can paint my mailbox buff-beige after you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

So we're thinking about the next bonfire party, and the 5th of November is a long way off. Memorial Day is better celebrated in the daytime. I don't know why, it just is. Maybe late May, on Joan of Arc day? Or Summer solstice in June? July 4 is too competitive. All the other neighbors will be busy trying to catch their own yards on fire to bother with ours.

Throwing an evening party with a toddler in the house is challenging, and that's really what is stalling the plans more than anything. It'll probably be late May. I'll let you know.

What big, important decisions is everyone else facing this week?

No comments: