Thursday, August 31, 2006

Comfort Food

Being pregnant does afford one certain indulgences. Living in North Carolina affords one many opportunities to accomodate the desire.

Today a bunch of us from work went to a friend/coworker's farewell luncheon (she's not going far, just another department, but any excuse to leave campus to eat is a good one). We went to a Southern farmhouse comfort-food place that had nothing on the menu that I'd consider making at home. It was all stuff like chicken & dumplings, country fried steak, meatloaf, chopped beef with onion gravy, BBQ pulled pork, thick-cut ham with red-eye gravy, fried bologna, stuff like that.

Will it make you hungry if I tell you what I had? Oh well, I'm telling you anyway:
BBQ chicken
Collard greens
Yellow squash with onions
Iced tea (unsweetened)
1 hushpuppy

and

crispy, fluffy buttermilk biscuits with blackstrap molasses.

And some of you just got a panging yearning to be back in the South again.

5 comments:

SNG said...

I ate a salad. I feel like I missed out on something.

PartnerInCrime said...

I was going to declare my complete and utter hatred for you because you wrote out the names of all those yummy foods, BUT! You have been spared The Crazy Pregnant Wrath, because I just found a restaurant here that makes Southern *and* Cajun foods. And it's about 2 blocks out of my way on my commute home from work.
Guess who's calling in a to-go order of hush puppies tonight?

alphagal said...

Mmmmmmm etouffee!!

Katrin said...

Hmm...all that talk of southern food....I could use some good biscuits and hush puppies right now! (at 2 am!!!) I've spent the last 2 weeks eating canned soups that I warm up in the shady vet school microwave at 4 am--boy am I ready to work during the daytime again!

alphagal said...

Ouch! Night shift is for the birds. I bet there are some awesome places to get biscuits in Auburn. And grits! Mmmm Alabama grits are probably better than NC grits.
Nothing will ever beat The Breakfast Club, a place in Chalmette that made The Best Grits in the Universe. Ask anyone who ever ate there. It was worth driving to St Bernard Parish just for those grits.